Here I sit. Headphones on, listening to the radio via iTunes. Rowan is having a major, level 8 meltdown beside me, while I actively ignore him. He had been picking on his little sister for 15 minutes with many reminders and warning to stop his behaviour. When it finally came down to 'one more time and you're not getting your after dinner treat' it was less than 5 minutes before Eliana came crying in, saying he punched her. The red marks and his disappearing act confirmed this. Now, 10 minutes later, he's screaming "I WANT MY TREAT"
The only thing that keeps my own temper in check is doing this. Typing out the scenario, plugging into the music. Actively ignoring.
He calmed down for a few minutes. But starts right back up. He's addicted to sugar. He's hyper. I'm nearing
my limit with his behaviour. Maybe it's time he saw someone. I don't know. I don't think that's the answer.
1 comment:
Well, Julia, I have sort of been in your shoes - to a lesser extent. If I were you I would enact a sugar-free/screen-free month and see how it goes. The first week or two are agony but you might be pleasantly surprised by the end.
Post a Comment