Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rough Road to Reading

Rowan and I did an online reading assessment.  He flew through the easy words, but stumbled on 'here' and 'you'.  He scored at a pre-K reading level.  He showed no interest in that fact either. He should be in Grade 2.

Eliana has spent the past hour working in her Explode the Code 1 phonics book.  She loves it.  We initially bought it for Rowan, when he was in JK/SK. We even have the 2nd and 3rd books in the series.  He did about 1/3rd of the book.  She has flown through the rest of the book, and knows the next two books are waiting for her.  She is excited to read, can't wait to read with us and loves doing her schoolwork.  When she starts book 2 tomorrow, it's rated at a Grade 1 reading level.


I love reading. I have always loved reading.  It makes me sad when I think that Rowan isn't enjoying reading as much as he should be.  He loves being read to.  He even enjoys copying books passages at times.  But to actually read something?   I hope that this will soon be behind us.

No comments: