Sunday, January 09, 2011

Veteran Homeschooler.

I realised earlier this school year that I have reached 'Veteran Homeschooler' status.  What does that mean? Well, it means that I've been doing this for long enough to know that when a product/curriculum isn't working, change it. Not to hang on too long to a bad fit because: a) others loved it. b)I paid a lot for it c)it looks great d) it worked for child A.

Now I also laugh and shake my head when I hear parents with toddlers/preschoolers say things like "I have been working with my son, who is 21 months now, on literacy and counting. I have been working from books that I picked up from a local store . I am looking for materials to continue his education at home..."  Oh you have got to be kidding me. At pre-2 years of age, shouldn't one be focusing on Play? Playing with toys, other kids? Seeing life around them.  Reading books to them, with them.  Does someone really need a curriculum for preschool?  I'm sure when I was at that stage, there were 'veteran' homeschoolering chuckling at my comments too.  

From the been-there-done-that trenches, I'll bite my tongue, keep my opinions to my blog and not reply directly to any parent without their request. :)

No comments: