Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A calmer day

Today was a calmer day. Maybe, since we've 'done school' 3 days in a row, after lunch, during Eliana's nap, the routine has helped us. Maybe it's today's sunshine. Or that Calla and Rowan are still in their PJs. Or I actually had time for a shower this morning. It IS a luxury that most people take for granted. When there's a 2yo in the house, leaving her unattended during a shower is asking for trouble. Although I did leave her under the care of C & R while I shovelled the driveway yesterday. Probably because ... oh good grief, they're screaming at each other right now. Must break it up before Calla hits Rowan

We're trying a new 'time-out' routine. As calmly as I can, I place the offender in time-out, with the rules that if they leave the designated spot before the timer beeps, the timer will be reset. Once time-out is complete, they get a hug and 'Thank you for sitting out'. This way, they know what is expected of them and that the issue has been resolved/forgiven. We'll see how it works. I don't like that we were resorting to spankings and yelling, as the kids just mimic this behaviour.

Well, that's my day in a nutshell.

1 comment:

SuperADDmom said...

i hear ya on the luxury showers.. even at 3 and 8 it still seems impossible.

Let me know how the time outs are working...we to are trying similar stuff as I can getting too liberal with the threats of a "smankin" as Bupba called it...one day he said to me"i don't wike them words of smankins mommy!"

decided I needed to find a better way and reevaluate. with him being ADHD we are going to have a LOT of head to head battles about stuff.. don't want him thinking at 13 when he's bigger then me that smankins for mommy is a good idea.