Rowan has a meltdown this morning because Calla wanted to play Lego Star Wars on Wii, and had controller 1. His problem: she has controller 1. His solution: throwing anything he could get his hands on while crying uncontrollably. I finally picked him up, rocked him back and forth, while playing LSW with controller 2 until he realised I wasn't very good at it (haha). I realised as his tantrum started that a timeout would only prolong the event (more than the 10 mins it DID take), causing him to hurt himself or break something (like the door to his room, his mirror, his bed...)
Is this the behaviour of a typical 5 year old boy? Is this something I should be concerned about? He gets so frustrated at times that he hits and pushes his sisters. He gets hyper, jumping off the furniture, climbing the door frames. When we settle down to do our daily lessons, he's inattentive, can't sit for 2 mins, and touches everything around him, quite often causing me to let him leave the lesson so that Calla can get some value out of it.
He cannot go into his gym program without a major meltdown and me having to hand him over kicking and screaming to the instructor, who he calms down for shortly after I leave. He's been going to the same gym class since Sept 07 with Calla. We tried soccer w/o Calla this summer. When I took him, it was a disaster. When Gord took him, he was a little better, not quite so stubborn. When I take him anywhere with the girls, he runs off, climbs something or touches everything. When we're one on one, he's awesome, a sweet child that you'd never believe could do the above stuff. He's also good going to Sunday School, though he clings to Calla side and goes to her class instead of his K class. I could go on. Is this typical middle child behaviour? 5yo boy behaviour? Close sibling rivalry?
Right now they are trying on every pair of shoes I own and parading around to show me. It's quite cute, Rowan in high heels is quite the sight.
1 comment:
at the risk of sounding like I'm Dxing him...it sounds a little like ADHD to me...which sadly, I'm an expert at given my own DX of it, and the fact that I've passed it onto both of my children. DD has more then just ADHD...at 3 Bupba is ADHD for sure, endless energy, no attention span for anything except sessions of hyper focus on something that can keep him for hours, and he'll get mad if you take him away from it.
Have you read Raising your Spirited child at all? Maybe grab a book from the library about ADHD and see if any of it fits? or to rule it out and make you feel better knowing that he is in the realm of average 5 yo boys behavior.
opps being paged...gotta run..email me if you have further questions or wanna talk about it :)
Post a Comment